Adam and I used to live in Boulder, and we love to go back there for daytrips. I'll never forget when we first passed through this beautiful place, on a cross-country road trip, and saw Chatauqua for the first time. I think Adam fell in love with Colorado for its space, its feeling of freedom, the huge skies, but for me, I think it was this mountain park. I just couldn't believe that a small, accessible city could have mountains and meadows within its limits.
Every time I approach Chatauqua, I still feel the same awe. Though we have so many options in the Front Range, this is still my favorite place to hike. And it warms my heart to hear Isaac call it by name and beg to go there when we are in Boulder.
This day was the first time we tried a real hike with the boys. Isaac never liked the carrier much, but Jonah was grinning and excited from the beginning. What a relief - that means we can do more of this! We were counting on Isaac to walk, and though he complained a lot before lunch, he was an amazing hiker once he had some food in his belly.
Below, the approach to the park and the Flatirons - breathtaking.

This hill is actually pretty steep. I'm so proud of Isaac for walking it.
We wanted to eat in the shade, so we headed for the woods. There was a perfect spot tucked into the ridge, with big rocks and a great view to the north.
Jonah was having a great time.
There's our view and a happy Dada, eating the sandwiches I'd made us - summer veggies and herbs and chiles with fresh mozzarella on whole wheat sourdough. Yummy.
It was a warm day, but the wind whipped up as we sat there. We were okay in between gusts, but it was really blowing.
Jonah got happier when I gave him his cheese.
Lots and lots of cheese.
I love the prairie grasses in late summer and fall. So much texture.

We hiked into the adjacent meadow after lunch to see the view of the plains and Boulder, and to show Isaac how far he'd walked. We'd come from the edge of those trees, plus we'd walked a few blocks from our car.
Love this shot of my boys.
I thought Isaac had hiked enough for one day and we'd just go back the same way, but then Adam showed him a "secret trail." It was a much smaller path that connected to the canyon trail down in the meadow below and eventually led back to the parking lot. The route was a little longer that way, but Isaac was so excited about the secret trail, and we set off.
The scenery was gorgeous, and on a crowded day, we were the only people in sight. I think it really was a secret trail.

The trail wound around the mountain and then came out into the meadow. The terrain was a little bumpy, but Isaac was doing great.

Since we'd parked about 4 blocks away, Adam and sleeping Jonah hiked back to get the car and pick us up in the parking lot. And Isaac and I got a special hike together. We watched the hordes of grasshoppers and talked about all kinds of things. He even let me take his picture.
Twice.
I wish I knew how far Isaac hiked that day, but it was certainly a couple of miles, with enough elevation gain to get us all winded. Good job little hiker!

To make the day perfect, we stopped at Bova's on the way home for our favorite frozen custard. Yummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment