Sunday, December 5, 2010

Oct 30: Biking and neighborhood Halloween party



This was one of those great Saturdays: warm even in late October, full of fun, mostly spent outside. It was also my first time on a bike in years, and it took a little time to regain that feeling of fluency. But then it was so fun!



We'd been waiting to ride as a family until Jonah was big enough to wear a helmet - obviously the prerequisite for riding safely on the roads. He is big and sturdy now, so we loaded up the boys into the trailer, Adam pulling, and rode down to the river path. I think they're so cute in their helmets!


Although Jonah's, brand new, kept falling over his face. He does not like wearing hats, and he just wanted it off.


But Isaac loved it, and Jonah fell asleep after a while.


By the river, the leaves were just starting to turn.


After lunch, we had one of those wonderful spells when the boys were in the living room alone, peacefully playing together. They were quietly talking and both engrossed in the fire station, no sharing issues. Adam and I watched, smiling, and took the rare occasion to just talk to each other.


After naps, it was time for the Halloween Haunt, a neighborhood party on 32nd Ave with a hayride, bouncy castle, vendors, and trick-or-treating at most of the restaurants. It was full of families but not overwhelming. All the kids were in costume, although Isaac put his on once we got there, as it made it a little hard to ride his bike.


Jonah couldn't believe we'd made him wear another hat already.


Here is Isaac the ghost, or E.T., as some people understandably thought...Jonah was super cute, but Isaac was the one getting all the looks and smiles. Everyone was pointing to him as their kids paraded by in fancy, store-bought costumes...At first I was worried we were a little too homemade (Adam and I had cut holes in a sheet and sewn primitive armholes for him, plus white gloves from Target - that's a ghost, right?), but then I heard one guy say "classic!" and realized that he did look pretty cute. Funny and not the most agile walker (I needed to cut a little more fabric off the bottom), but cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment